Top 10 Mistakes Parents Make
- Don’t teach — make it fun and natural.
- Don’t make a big deal of the languages — but do explain the usage.
- Don’t correct — just repeat the words correctly.
- Don’t ask your child to “show off,” — but praise him if he volunteers.
- Don’t mix languages yourself — a consistent language system provides structure, predictability, and security. This in turn promotes learning.
- Don’t rely on recordings — speak or sing to your baby directly and intently.
- Don’t be shy — use your language in public even if you sometimes feel embarrassed.
- Don’t make abrupt changes to your child’s language environment — go slow and explain what’s happening.
- Don’t wait to expose your child to a second or third language — the earlier your child starts, the easier it will be for everyone.
- Don’t wait! We really mean it! If not now, probably never.
But Do: praise, encourage, and have fun!